Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Do you travel with a laptop?

Hi gang,

I was wondering if there are plenty of people out there that travel with laptops??

I%26#39;m considering taking one on my 2 month trip, but wanted to ask those of you who do...

1. Will you ever travel with your laptop ever again? lol

2. Was is a major pain in the rear-end?

3. Did you find it a useful thing to take?

4. How did you carry it around?

Thanks everyone

Lorree

Do you travel with a laptop?

HI,

I personaly would not take it for following reasons:

1)because we usually travel a lot and move from one place to another often. It%26#39;s not very comfortable to travel with laptop and it%26#39;s one more valuable thing you have to be careful about

2) On my way back, my bag was heavy enough with all the things I bought. With laptop, I would had to pay overweigt for sure :-)

3) There is internet cafe on every corner and it%26#39;s very cheap so no problem with this. Many of those cafes offer to burn your photos on CD if your camera%26#39;s memory card is full and it%26#39;s cheap too.

Enjoy you trip

Kata

Do you travel with a laptop?

Hi Lorree

I am on holiday now in Krabi and yes I have my laptop ! I have travelled for work with my lappy but this is the first time on holidays and yes I am enjoying having it here!!

In Bangkok the hotel charged 690 baht per 24hrs for net access whereas here in Krabi the hotel provide free in room ( wireless).

So - in response to your questions

1- YES !!

2- Not at all

3- Yes especially when I was sitting in airport with nothing to do and also looking up tour prices and other info ( compared to on the street vendors). Also now - having a surf before going out to dinner, sending emails and pics to friends and family...

4- In a bag purchaed a Office works ($49) - looks like a groovy messenger bag but s padded so does not look like a laptop bag!!

Enjoy !


I was debating taking one (am in the process of getting one) but was worried about carrying it around.

I was going to take a backpack, but now I%26#39;m considering taking a wheelie suitcase and have day pack, plus the laptop bag.

I always thought it would be a big hassle taking it, so thats why I have put the question out there.

My main reasons I am thinking of taking it is because I have a bad back, and there will be days where I may not be able to venture to far from the hotel/hostel or where ever I%26#39;m staying.

Plus I have long periods in airports, buses and a 24 hr train trip in South Africa.

I know there are internet cafes everywhere, but don%26#39;t like the thought of sitting in one for an hour or two looking at tours, flights, doing my blog and paying my bills back home.

I%26#39;m leaning towards taking it...but have something deep down inside saying... do you really wanna lug it around. hmmmmm

More thinking to be done!!


Hi again

You have similar reasons to me for wanting to take the laptop. Although it is small - I purchased the Sony Vaio Ultra Portable. Its only 1.2kg and approx 24 cm width, so its less than an A4 sheet of paper in size and about 3/4 the size of a normal laptop. Its tiny so really wasn%26#39;t that big to carry !

In fact I think the power pack is heavier than the laptop ! Look around - perhaps a blackberry or an other hand held device will meet what you need if you don%26#39;t want the laptop??

Good luck!

P:)


Hi

I travel with my laptop always now

I have had no problems

I like to download my pics everyday and look at them on bigger screen.

it is great at airports

but most airports you have to pay for wifi.

be careful of free wifi at some airports they might be phishing

I have went to internet cafes and plugged my laptop into their system when I couldn%26#39;t find cheap wifi. in thailand.

I have a neat convertable briefcase I use for carry on it is a bussiness type briefcase but has back pack straps for ease when I am walking thru airports. It holds my laptop camera change of clothes all my papers and Id. power cords and access. books etc.

LOl it can get heavy.

When in hotel I keep it locked in suitcase I never leave it or any sign

of it in site.

I bought a new laptop with universal power supply works in any country don%26#39;t need any adapter had wifi and DVD buner less than $600 us.

the only draw back is the extra weight but if you have the money you can buy the new lightweight ones.


I think I%26#39;m going to go ahead and get the laptop.

Unfortunately I can%26#39;t afford the right light ones, so the one that I%26#39;m looking at is the asus and it weighs 2.7kgs.

Most of the places that I%26#39;m looking at don%26#39;t offer wifi in the rooms :( So will mean writing up my jbrs in the room, going down to the internet room and copying it all across.

If I decide at the last minute not to take it, then its no big loss I still have it when I get back.

Thanks all for the insight. I didn%26#39;t think it would be to much of a hassle, just taking it in day backpack while traveling and locking it in backpack/suitcase back at hotel while I%26#39;m exploring.

Lorree


Lorree, Take a flash drive with you as well, then when you finish your reports etc, copy onto that and it just plugs into wherever you go for internet access and you can just transfer over.

Cathy


Hiya Cathy,

lol you must be reading my mind!!!

I only just put a bid on one, on ebay about an hour ago! :)

Did you do all your reports on your own laptop or did you use cafes?

  • graphics animation
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment