Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Power Adapters??

Hi All,



I%26#39;m from Ireland and was in New York last year so i bought a digital camera. Obviously becase american power sockets are different to what we use in Ireland I had to buy a plug adapter.





I%26#39;m heading to Thailand in a week and wondering how I%26#39;m going to charge my camer-are the plug sockets in thailand and america the same?Please help dont want a holiday with no pictures!!!!





Thanks!



Power Adapters??


Most of the digital camera chargers that I%26#39;ve seen are able to accept voltage from 100-240, which covers just about any country. Check on the back of your charger and it should be written whether it%26#39;s variable input or not. If it is, then you would just need to pick up a plug adapter. If in the small chance it%26#39;s only US voltage input, which I doubt since Ireland is 220V and that would have fried your camera otherwise, you would need a converter plug adapter set. I%26#39;ve seen universal plug-adapter sets here in the US for as little as $5, but if you need a converter they%26#39;re usually about 3-4 times as expensive at least (don%26#39;t know how much they%26#39;d be in Ireland). These are fairly small so easy to pack and they cover most of the world. You can also buy the adapter in the airport when you get to Thailand, but personally I%26#39;d rather have it packed and ready to go.





Hopefully someone more local will be able to help with a specific store to buy from. Been way too many years since I%26#39;ve been to Dublin to remember...



Power Adapters??


Yeah but the real thing I was concerned was in Ireland all plugs are 3pronged and in states they are 2 pronged.............so the 2pronged plug that came with the camera would it work in Thailand?




The two pronged US plug on the camera charger will work in Thailand with an adapter. You will have to plug the camera charger into the adapter (the one for Thailand should have two round pins if I remember what I bought correctly) and then the adapter into the wall socket. Same as you already are doing in Ireland except with a different shape adapter.




Hello Quinner,





The hotels I stayed had the same plug sockets (two plug) as in Holland. So I did not need the adapter (but in case I always have one with me). Mostly I used the shaversocket and it worked perfectly. The voltage in Thailand is 220V/50 hertz. Maybe it is a good idea to have an extra battery with you. Have a nice trip.





Tony




Unless you are staying in a real cheap dive the hotel may have a U.S. style bladed socket in the toilet area.





You may find that some of the outlets are designed to take both bladed and pin type plugs.





In any event, if you need an adapter you can pick one up real cheap in Thailand after you arrive. Some of the supermarkets like Tops and Foodland even had them for sale, usually near the area selling hardware.





Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment