Sunday, April 4, 2010

moving from UK - Thailand - lock stock and barrel

Hi,





I will be moving to Thailand from the UK in May 2008. This is a permanent move and I have no wish to return to the UK.





I am hoping that I may be able to get most of my household effects over in a 30ft container but have so far received two quotes of over 拢3,000 which has disappointed me.





Anyone any help or advice on this matter. Even a slow train, cattle wagon or space hopper would be preferable to paying that sort of price.





Dragonfly 151



moving from UK - Thailand - lock stock and barrel


That%26#39;s actually cheaper - $8000US - than we paid to send a container from the US to BKK.



moving from UK - Thailand - lock stock and barrel


Hello :



Good luck to you for a Big move here.



Bangkok is a nice city for a short time holidays.



However, for a permanent relocation , I need to do a lot



of soul research.



Enjoy your trip,




Hi





when I retire to thailand soon. I am not taking anything



I will sell everything I don%26#39;t want to save or give to my son



none of my electrical items will work there. anyway.





then buy everything new or spend yrs finding the right decor for our house.



besides non of my furishings will match Thailand style.





the only things i might ship would be cars or motorcycle but I am afraid the dutys and tariffs might be cost prohibitive.



I will have to check more when the time comes.





good luck on your move. which part of thailand are you moving too?




Hello :



I am not ready to retire yet, still have a lot of years in the USA.



labor work force to build up the retirement funds.



I can see that I shall be enjoy doing the travel before make an



permanent home for retirement.



We are in America have more choices in south Americas



settlements besides the S.E. Asia .



Enjoy your trip,




拢3,000 would buy a hell of a lot of stuff in Thailand. Wouldn%26#39;t it be better to sell up and buy new stuff there? I don%26#39;t think you are going to get much better than that price which is a slow train/ship price already.





How do you get around the visa? I%26#39;ve heard people take a train down to Butterworth once a month to renew theirs. If you stay without a visa and get caught it%26#39;s prison if you can%26#39;t pay a fine of 500 baht a day overstay and a Thai prison is your worst nightmare.





What happens if you are sick? When I took early retirement I moved to France which has better health care than the UK.





I spend from early December till early March in Thailand though. I like visiting the place but would not like to live there permanently. I have side trips planned to Hong Kong and Singapore (with AirAsia) to break up the monotony.





Have you ever spent months in Thailand? I would suggest you try it before you burn bridges behind you. It ain%26#39;t paradise and unending heat and humidity is not everyone%26#39;s idea of fun. Snow looks good to me after 3 months there.




Hello :



I must agree that the Immigrations laws in Thailand is very



strictly for the farangs who want to live in here permanantly



which is understandle for economics reasons. However,



Thailand is the best place in S.E.Asia for tourists .



The P.I. is a better offering place to get a retiree Visa.



and is only 1hr30min. fly from Bangkok. If you are getting marry



with a local Thai%26#39;s , things may be easier for immigrant Visa



Enjoy your trip,




Hello:



Here is a shocking news for the EU. people . You can easily



to retire in the USA with a lifestyle and We are in the first world



country . The Euro is incredible high valued against the usd



and still going up, consequently, everything in the USA. is a



bargain for the Europeans . Don%26#39;t move to Thailand , move to



USA. and finally, the Americans retire must move to S.E.ASia



or the South America to escape hi cost living .



Enjoy your trip,




One person%26#39;s opinion - I can%26#39;t to get out of here!!!!!! We%26#39;re SE Asia bound.




Hi, I made the same move back in February 2002 and though it hurt to give away things like practicaly new furniture and sell other household goods at a fraction of the cost you do have to way up the cost of shipping which sounds like a reasonable amount you have been quoted.



You really do not have to bring anything but your suitcases and clothes, furniture is cheap compared to the UK and is available in modern design similar to shops like Ikea, there are also expat run furniture shops selling classical designs as well , most electrical goods are the same or cheaper in price than the UK though plasma tv%26#39;s are a little more expensive here.



I have been trying to think why you would want to bring a container full of stuff over here in the first place, if you have a collection of antique furniture or something else you really do not want to let go off, my advice is if you really are going to make a break with the UK start again from scratch and let go of the past, or put the stuff in storage in the UK and see how you feel in 12 months time.




Hello :



If I ever move to aboards for retirements , I propably don%26#39;t have



much stuff in tow besides clothings and personal documents.



Obviously, the most important personal properties are the



financial sitiuations with all the investments and pension funds



set up to make sure those source of income keep flowing into



banking accounts. Other than that , You can just purchase almost



everything else once settle in Bangkok or anywhere else .



However, If you are married then all bets are off !



Enjoy your trip,

No comments:

Post a Comment