Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Bringing in food

Can anyone please tell me if you can bring food into Thailand. We are travelling via Singapore to Phuket. Don%26#39;t laugh but I want to bring a Plum pudding. I won%26#39;t bother making it if I can%26#39;t bring it. This could be packed in the suitcase. I was also wondering about a side of salmon - but that would need to be in the carry on.



Thanks



Ange



Bringing in food


AussieAnge





You should have no problem with the plum pudding. As for the salmon you can buy australian and/or norwegian salmon here cheaper than in australia.







bkk3



Bringing in food


Hi Ange we always take cheese, crackers, potato chips just to start us off. We like to sit on our balcony and have a duty free drink and snack when we first arrive no matter what the time. I don%26#39;t think there is any restrictions on bringing in food to Phuket.



Happy Holidays Bez.




Hi AussieAnge, When you arrive in Phuket did you declare the food you had %26amp; was it in your suitcase or hand luggage. As I want to take some nibblies over when were there as we have 4 kids.



Thanks Sue.




AussieAnge, sorry I meant to reply to Bez123 on the food thing, or if anyone can help, that would be great.




Sue



I wouldnt stress to much about taking snacks for the kids with you, there are plenty of 7/11 and little grocery dtores that have everything you could want and they are so cheap! Cheaper than at home.



We brought a few bits and peices to keep in our room for nibbles and there was plenty to choose from.



As far as taking food into Phuket as long as you declare it you will have no problems. I was suprised at the things you could by at Melbourne Airport in the departure area shops to take ...they even had frozern muscles and fish!!!! how you keep in frozern on a 10 hour flight I have no idea?? lol





enjoy your trip





Chelle




I have taken all kinds of food to expats in Thailand in my checked-in baggage, along with my manyt bottles of wine and never been questioned. I would recommend that you take whatever you wish with you, and should you be questioned (unlikely), then just say you were bringing in what you heard was unavailable in Phuket.






Like Athena I have always taken food in my checked in luggage and have never been questioned I buy the kraft chedar cheese which doesn%26#39;t need refrigeration until opened. Yes you can buy all the differet snacks at 711 but I like to have something to start us off rather than going shopping as soon as you arrive. We go over seas every year . We always empty our fridge in the room and put our own drinks etc in while there, have never been questioned as I%26#39;m sure everyone does this. Bez




Thanks Chelle e be, I think i%26#39;ll buy nibblies in Phuket, they%26#39;ll most probably be different to oz, so the kids will like them even more.



Sue




Ange, I just re-read your post and noted the side of salmon. You can buy salmon steaks in Phuket, and if you went to Choice Foods in Chalong, I%26#39;m sure you%26#39;d be able to get a side there. Best if you order in advance though. This could be a much easier option for you.





19/51 Chaofa East Road



Chalong , Muang Phuket



Phuket 83130



Phone: 076282407 Fax: 076383186




I think there%26#39;s a new rule re alcohol. In the past you could take alcohol with you that you%26#39;d bought in duty free, but you can only do so now if it%26#39;s in your hold luggage, so you can%26#39;t buy it airside once you%26#39;ve checked in. Don%26#39;t think you can take it in your hand luggage any more. Am sure that %26#39;s now the case from the UK, but not certain about Aus. May be worth checking though, as it would be awful to have it confiscated!

No comments:

Post a Comment