Tuesday, March 30, 2010

new kid on the block!

I visit the forum on a regular basis and am fascinated by all the info given. I try hard to get the gist of the blogs, but there are often my own questions running around in my head!!





We are going to Thailand for the first (probably only time) time next week and although we are staying at the Pacific Club %26amp; Spa Boutique in Karon (2 adults %26amp; 3 kids (11, 10 %26amp; 7)), I am rather worried about the location and the wild dogs on the way. Could anyone help pacify me and assure me about the %26#39;ferral%26#39; dogs. I know about being able to take tuks-tuks if need be, but the hotel is lowly recommended for families with small children. My children can walk for miles, so I%26#39;m trying to convince myself that they%26#39;ll be OK!!





Also, we%26#39;ll be around on Friday 24 August, so how do we go about the Friday night BBQ? Do we just turn up %26amp; if we decide to go...where is it? How much does it cost?? What is the weather like at the moment...my kids are looking forward to swimming in the sea...is it advisbale?? I am aware of the red flags.





What about money????? I%26#39;ve read it is advisable to take minimum THB as you can get a much more favourable rate over there in 拢 sterling. Is this true?!!!





I%26#39;d like to know.





Only 10 more sleeps to go and 9 packing days!!



new kid on the block!


Sorry, I also forgot about the flight...we are travelling with Malaysian Airlines...are they any good?? Obviously we are flying out from LHR on economy...any feedback would be great!! Especially having a kid, who (I know and will be stuck with) will moan all the way..ARE WE THERE YET?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



new kid on the block!


Hi there,



We have just returned and flew Malaysian Airlines, no problems at all, we prebooked our seats and were lucky to get them on the way home, huge amount of leg room (bulkhead seats 11A %26amp; 11C)





You must book the Friday Night BBQ in advance, theres a limit on amount of people, the cost is 150baht each and same for transfers. All info and menu etc is on link below, plus Richards details so you can book.



cathyandgarystravelpages.com/friday_night_bb鈥?/a>





Theres also photos from the last 8 bbq%26#39;s on this link



http://picasaweb.google.com/CathyandGary





We stayed for 2 months and never came across any feral dogs, hopefully someone else who has stayed in same area can comment re this and yes change your money there not before you leave for a better rate.



Cathy




Hi. We stayed at the Pacific Club and Spa back in January with our 3 children (10,12 and 14). Yes are there a few dogs around the place but we never had any trouble with them HOWEVER we never walked back up to the hotel at night, we always caught a tuk tuk back up the hill as it is a bit out of the way and a bit dark on the road. we walked to and from the hotel for a week and even on a hot day it was ok, but it is a fair way to the main area of Karon and the trip home does include a walk up hill but its not really hard. . If you want any other info feel free to PM me.



Jane




and yes, take sterling and change in Phuket.




I agree about the street dogs, they are not aggressive at all. You won%26#39;t have any problems. It could be a good idea not to let your kids pat them, though, just to be sure you don%26#39;t encounter any problems.




Hi there,





We checked in at the Pacific Club after seeing the excellent reviews on the forum. Unfortunately, it did not meet our expectations and was not right for us, and we checked out after a couple of hours.





Our review can be found on the hotel reviews. The distance did not bother ourselves walking out, but at the end of the night, if we had stayed, I would have got a tuktuk. I am not sure it would be ideal for kids (thats just my opinion, maybe others who stayed can advise).





Sorry if this dosnt help you much, I just thought you should know.





Carinna.




Thanks for all the advice.





I%26#39;m still a little concerned about the Pacific Club %26amp; Spa..will there be any other families with young children there?





Can anyone else help!!!?





Much appreciated!!




Hi again. I did a review of Pacific Club and Spa back in January. I didn%26#39;t say in my last post to you as I saw you were going in just 10 days but I personally wouldn%26#39;t stay there again with my family. Didn%26#39;t think it was very kid friendly and no, there weren%26#39;t any other kids around. It was a very nice hotel but we felt very out of place.



Jane




Princessfrog



As for your kids swimming in the sea - sorry the red flags will be out then. The sea usually calms down around early November towards the high season months making it easier for swimmers.



During the low season months there are very strong rip currents and the seas are rough.





Have a tremendous holiday!



Chantal




Thanks Jane (Wells67)





I guess we%26#39;ll just have to make the most it.





I know my kids have got a sense of fun about them and they are on holiday so as far as I%26#39;m concerned they can have as much fun as they like.





I%26#39;m hell bent on having a good time!!





All the advice given is soooooo much appreciated and I/ll kee looking out for more blogs.





By the way...what do JBR and btw stand for?





Thanks for all the good wishes!! Can%26#39;t wait for my well-deserved holiday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment